Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10. May 2024 at 05:11
News: Welcome to Randolph RoHawk Alumni Bulletin Board. We have had over 25,000 spammers register on this board recently. SO! I have disabled the automatic registration. To Register you will have to contact Mike Berish who is the administrator of this Bulletin Board. Not posting my e-mail here as I don't want the spammers to hit my e-mail so hard. you can get my e-mail from Facebook or one of your fellow Ro-Hawks. Or go to rohawk.net and you can find it there.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Basketball in a Football State (Read 2980 times)
Nunzio
Global Moderator

Basketball in a Football State
14. Jul 2010 at 13:03

Hey Coach,

Your second book is great.  I am almost done with it after getting it at the reunion this weekend.  I was able to put many names to some of the folks you chose to write about without naming.  Of course, as is the case with many Ro-hawk stories over the decades, some of these stories could easily have applied to multiple culprits from many different years.  Just something about Randolph that remains the same, year after year.

It was really super to see you, as always.  I do have to give you a hard time about your mustache story with Mr. Hall.  He gave you 3 weeks, but you gave me 10 minutes to shave my Christmas growth before our game during the holidays before school started back in 1970.  With no razors available, I had to cut it off with a pair of trainer's scissors.  When you said enough of it was not gone the first time I went outside for warm-ups, I literally started scaping it with those scissors.  I remember doing a pretty good job of hiding the blood from you on the court so that you wouldn't keep me out of the game.  lol, I know I was the better for it, and rules were rules, but that was one trauma I remembered being really pissed about, especially since I had not even thought about the fact that I had not shaved before the game and didn't even realize I had broken a rule until you stormed up to me.  

I was one of those B-teamers my freshman year of 67-68 that had the pleasure of being a punching bag for the varsity team that went to state against Plano.  Mark Kruger, Craig Kirklin, myself and one other Ro-hawk got to practice 6 weeks after our own season ended.  They needed us to be able to field a full practice team as I recall.  I think that varsity team only had about  17-18 players on it.  I remember one time by a stroke of luck busting through the line and getting ready to actually touch our quarterback Tex Allshouse.  Of course, the whistle blew before I got there, and the next 6 plays in a roll, I really paid for my audacity.  I never told Coach Mickler, but that was the very reason that I did not play football my Sophmore and Junior years.  He never could understand why I would not play for him those two years.  It sure was fun being one of the varsity B-Ballers that had to play speedball with the JV players against the football varsity in the spring.  More than once after I had dribbled the ball through his whole team and then let some little freshman score, Coach Mickler would ask me why I would not play football.  I simply always told him I wasn't tough enough to play for him.  Of course, he told a little different tale to the football team. Fortunately for me, some of my best buddies like Rick McGraw, Ross Wallace, and Mike Miller knew exactly why I refused to play for him and did not hold it against me.  They could have made it tough for me, but never did; being the class act they were and still are.  In fact, i know they kept my back against some of the unamed turds (your word I kinda like) on the football team that did not know the prior history, having transferred in after our freshman year. They did talk me into playing my senior year, but then the injury in the first game of the season screwed that up, as well as affecting my basketball season.  I have always felt I let you down big time my senior year.  I don't know that that team could have gone deep into the playoffs, but it was better than we ended up playing.

Penny and I live in Fair Oaks now, a few miles down I-10 from Boerne.  Several of my neighbors remember the animosity you talked about with Boerne.  40 years later, and they still bristle at the mention of Ro-hawks.  I know I won't forget the basketball game in 69-70 when we heard gun shots as our bus was leaving thier school.  Could have been coincidence, but I remember we did not stick around to find out what it really was.  I never did understand that hatred.  I guess it just had to do with thier inability to beat us before the 70-71 season.

Nunzio "Pensatore" Previtera
  IP Logged
Bear
YaBB Administrator

Welcome to the
RoHawk Bulletin
Board

Re: Basketball in a Football State
Reply #1 - 17. Jul 2010 at 10:22

Dang Nunz!  maybe there is a book in you too!!

MB

Mike Berish - RoHawk '76

WWW Bear   IP Logged
Tim Nelson
Basic Trainee

Re: Basketball in a Football State
Reply #2 - 24. Aug 2010 at 08:57

Just purchased my copy and look forward to reading it.  

tim

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print