Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10. May 2024 at 07:27
News: Welcome to Randolph RoHawk Alumni Bulletin Board. We have had over 25,000 spammers register on this board recently. SO! I have disabled the automatic registration. To Register you will have to contact Mike Berish who is the administrator of this Bulletin Board. Not posting my e-mail here as I don't want the spammers to hit my e-mail so hard. you can get my e-mail from Facebook or one of your fellow Ro-Hawks. Or go to rohawk.net and you can find it there.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Link to Mr. Porter (Read 5096 times)
Bear
YaBB Administrator

Welcome to the
RoHawk Bulletin
Board

Link to Mr. Porter
23. Nov 2008 at 00:22

I never had Mr. Porter but the stories about him are legendary at RHS.  

When Rodney and I were office aids during our senior year we would make faces at his class through the window in the classroom door and make his class laugh.  We then raced down the hall and hid in a nearby doorway so he wouldn't catch us.  We also flirted with Maria Kypuros, the cutest girl in the school, through the window.  Rodney and I both lamented she was tooooo young, being an 8th grader, for us to take a fancy to.   Wink  Wink

Check out this link to Mr. Porter on Gloria Gallagher's blog:

http://ro-hawks.blogspot.com/2008/09/mr-porter-teacher.html

Bear

Mike Berish - RoHawk '76

WWW Bear   IP Logged
Johnny Bender
Global Moderator

Re: Link to Mr. Porter
Reply #1 - 25. Nov 2008 at 09:53

Any news on his recovery?  I never had him as a teacher but will keep him in my prayers.

John Bender
Email   IP Logged
Nunzio
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - 13. Mar 2009 at 09:11

It was the first week of school in September, 1966.  This shy eighth grader was day dreaming in Mr. Porter's math class about whether he would ever make a new friend after arriving at Randolph from Izmir, Turkey.  THWACK,,THWACK,,,THWACk!  The sound of Mr. Porter's ruler striking the desk top 1/2 inch from my hand made me almost fall out of my desk seat.  Mr. Porter's glare immediately put a stop to the laughter throughout the room from all the other kid's who knew it was coming but did not know who the unlucky recipient might be that week.  Mr. Porter, I have many fond memories of your class and your interactions with all of your students.  I have always considered you among the top teachers and professors that positively impacted my life.  Your class was very important to me.  It was one of the first classes that inspired me to learn for the sake of learning, rather than because I had to be in a classroom.  As I went on to a BBA degree in Business Finance, and later to own and manage my own business, I can assure you that my love of statistics and higher math was jump started in your class.  I have used what you taught me about math and about life all my life.  Thank You for the dedication and inspiration you brought to many, many of us Ro-Hawk alumni. We are all better for having had your influence on us.

Nunzio Previtera, class of 71!

Nunzio "Pensatore" Previtera
  IP Logged
BioCoach
Airman

Reply #3 - 06. Oct 2009 at 15:50

Ouote from Marvin I have never forgotten.

"FOR EVERY MONKEY AT SCHOOL THERE ARE TWO AT HOME!"

Coach Scott

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print