Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10. May 2024 at 14:04
News: Welcome to Randolph RoHawk Alumni Bulletin Board. We have had over 25,000 spammers register on this board recently. SO! I have disabled the automatic registration. To Register you will have to contact Mike Berish who is the administrator of this Bulletin Board. Not posting my e-mail here as I don't want the spammers to hit my e-mail so hard. you can get my e-mail from Facebook or one of your fellow Ro-Hawks. Or go to rohawk.net and you can find it there.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mr. Competition (Read 5160 times)
Bear
YaBB Administrator

Welcome to the
RoHawk Bulletin
Board

Mr. Competition
22. Nov 2008 at 23:48

My fondest ememory of Coach English is from my senior year.

As most of you know I was just a mediocre athlete (and that might even be stretching it).  I had lots of desire, fair ability and no drive or confidence to really put out my best.  During the last semester of my senior year I started to understand about putting out an effort.  In the "cruising" semester of our senior year in athletics where you hang out and play speedball or go golfing, I spent a lot of time playing basketball.  It ended up that Coach English and I played one-on-one quite regularly.  

Any who knows Coach English, knows him to be the most fierce competitor there is.  A RoHawk legend, played college football at Rice, he was an incredibel athlete.  

For the numerous times we played over several weeks of the semester, Coach English never beat me.  It infuriated him to have an "also ran" like me beat him regularly and I discovered what drive and confidence were.  

It was a great time in my life!

Bear

Mike Berish - RoHawk '76

WWW Bear   IP Logged
Johnny Bender
Global Moderator

Re: Mr. Competition
Reply #1 - 25. Nov 2008 at 09:47

Good story.  I remember Coach English all the way back to our 8th. grade.  He was a competitor and fun to watch at football practice.  He didn't mind getting in without a helmet and sticking somebody to show proper technique.

John Bender
Email   IP Logged
Terry Kirkland
Airman

Reply #2 - 16. Aug 2010 at 12:11

I remeber my Freshman year we were in the weight room and I decided since coach English's back was to me not to do my sit ups at the situp station with the 90 degree angle. Once coach blew the whistle and we moved to the next station before he blew the whistle to start he said something to the effect of Kirkland at this station you need to put forth the effort. This shocked me as he never turned around or even looked over his shoulder to include the time he addressed my "lack of effort". There were no windows or mirrors for him to have seen a reflection in so needless to say the rest of my work I gave maximum effort. It wasn't until several days later at baseball practice when we were talking about being sore from the workouts that I found out that two of my teammates were in Coach English's 8th grade social studies class and had tipped him off to my laziness.

Email   IP Logged
chuckwright
Airman

Reply #3 - 17. Mar 2014 at 17:44

Quote from Johnny Bender on 25. Nov 2008 at 09:47:
Good story.  I remember Coach English all the way back to our 8th. grade.  He was a competitor and fun to watch at football practice.  He didn't mind getting in without a helmet and sticking somebody to show proper technique.

I remember him doing that. . .hilarious. . .

One year they brought a device to help with "speed". . .basically a bungee cord you strapped on then ran away from. . ..  

Noone could make it work right so Coach Mickler tell Coach English to try . ..he proceeds to run away with so much power. . .he ripped the device from the anchor point. . .we NEVER saw it again . ..  

BTW, Coach Mickler's nephew Jim Bob Mickler is a retired marine captain and now runs the Texas Veterans Land Board. . .

PS, I was a poorer athlete than Mike. . ..  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print