Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10. May 2024 at 05:43
News: Welcome to Randolph RoHawk Alumni Bulletin Board. We have had over 25,000 spammers register on this board recently. SO! I have disabled the automatic registration. To Register you will have to contact Mike Berish who is the administrator of this Bulletin Board. Not posting my e-mail here as I don't want the spammers to hit my e-mail so hard. you can get my e-mail from Facebook or one of your fellow Ro-Hawks. Or go to rohawk.net and you can find it there.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What I learned from Mrs. Fannin - flushers (Read 2642 times)
Bear
YaBB Administrator

Welcome to the
RoHawk Bulletin
Board

What I learned from Mrs. Fannin - flushers
22. Nov 2008 at 22:39

Mrs. Fannin taught US History in the '72-'73 school year, the freshman year for the class of '76.  I beleive that was the only year she taught at RHS.  

I don't remember much about what I learned regarding history, although I have a big passion for politics now, so she must have had some impact on me.

My fondest memory of her was her telling us about her husband (Casey) and her competing in road rallies.  One of the techniques they used to be able to go faster than the legal speed limit with a minimal chance of getting caught, was to use a "flusher".  That is a person who passes you on the freeway at a higher rate of speed than you willing to go due to the risk of getting a speeding ticket.  You allow them to get 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead of you then you go the same speed as they are.  The idea, is that a cop will catch that person rather than you.

Funny, just last month Dennis Scott and I were enroute to his parent's Llano ranch when we shared that memory.  And, last year I was traveling through the California desert from Bakersfield to L.A. when I got a speeding ticket (90 in a 70 OUCH!!).  I had not taken Mrs. Fannin's lesson to heart as I was following a faster vehicle, but was only a few seconds behind.  So close the CHiP got both of us!!  cry cry

Real world lessons are great!

Bear

Mike Berish - RoHawk '76

WWW Bear   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print