Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
20. May 2024 at 15:32
News: Welcome to Randolph RoHawk Alumni Bulletin Board. We have had over 25,000 spammers register on this board recently. SO! I have disabled the automatic registration. To Register you will have to contact Mike Berish who is the administrator of this Bulletin Board. Not posting my e-mail here as I don't want the spammers to hit my e-mail so hard. you can get my e-mail from Facebook or one of your fellow Ro-Hawks. Or go to rohawk.net and you can find it there.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newby (Read 7090 times)
barmstrong
Basic Trainee

Newby
05. Oct 2009 at 16:49

Graduate of the Class of 1975. I went to Randolph from the seventh grade to graduation and played football for Coach Scott on the freshman team and Coach Mickler later on. I also ran track (my ferverent hope was that if I stayed at the back of the pack the front runners would trip and  fall down and I would jump over them to victory. Good theory, never happened ;>) Two nicknames I had "Armo" and Coach Mickler's " Pregnant  Tarantula". I still have Super 8 movies of my VW in the school courtyard driven by Mike Capperino that was used in one of my classes. I expected to get hammered by the Principal but nothing was ever said. I also have film of me and others setting booby traps, strung wire, across different doors at the school and watched people trip, especially the Freshman running to Gym class and them all falling down before they got to the gymnasium door!!! If you check the 1975 yearbook you will see me "hammering" an underclassman with a water balloon. So if you are wondering what that led to.....four years in the Infantry, 101st Airborne, and Sgt at SAPD.

Email   IP Logged
Jim Schrank 76
Global Moderator

Re: Newby
Reply #1 - 05. Oct 2009 at 23:02

Welcome "Armo"!

I remember you, & am thankful I never hit one of your booby traps.

Email   IP Logged
Johnny Bender
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - 06. Oct 2009 at 09:28

Armo, what's up buddy.  Good to see you online.  You with San Antonio PD?

John Bender
Email   IP Logged
barmstrong
Basic Trainee

Reply #3 - 06. Oct 2009 at 11:41

Yes sir.

Email   IP Logged
barmstrong
Basic Trainee

Reply #4 - 06. Oct 2009 at 13:36

John, where is your sister Libby?

Email   IP Logged
Johnny Bender
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - 07. Oct 2009 at 08:26

Quote from barmstrong on 06. Oct 2009 at 11:41:
Yes sir.

Libby lives south of downtown on 35.  She teaches at a school down there.

John Bender
Email   IP Logged
Johnny Bender
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - 07. Oct 2009 at 08:27

Quote from Johnny Bender on 07. Oct 2009 at 08:26:
Quote from barmstrong on 06. Oct 2009 at 11:41:
Yes sir.

Libby lives south of downtown in the country on 35.  She teaches at a school down there.

John Bender
Email   IP Logged
barmstrong
Basic Trainee

Reply #7 - 07. Oct 2009 at 12:54

My impression of Randolph graduates leaving the area and not returning has changed. It seems some graduates do leave and not ever come back but there seems to be just as many that leave for a short time and then come back to stay. Looking at other school sites shows numerous Ro-Hawks saying they left but later returned. Even grads from the early 1960's who no longer have any family here return to San Antonio to retire. I wonder if there is a  connection  between a person being a military brat and having to move around all there life and ending up at Randolph which would be the last point in their life with a connection to the military life as a kid? Kids off base graduate and their parents stayed in the same house and the same job and the kids could come by and visit classmates and friends at their homes because nobody moved. Of course, that does not happen with us because parents get transferred and/or retire and so do the parents of classmates so there there is not really a place to go back to other than Randolph HS. My case. My dad retired after my Junior year and after I graduated we moved to Shreveport and I spent my freshman year in Monroe, Louisiana. I told my parents after my freshman year I was going back to Texas to go to school and I packed my bags and enrolled at SWTSU in San Marcos. I wonder how many other kids were in a similar situation?

Email   IP Logged
Johnny Bender
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - 08. Oct 2009 at 08:40

I think you hit it Armo.  I also left twice since graduation just to return again.  I was in Florida for 9 years before taking the opportunity to move back to San Antonio.  This has just always felt like home.

John Bender
Email   IP Logged
Terry Kirkland
Airman

Reply #9 - 02. Aug 2010 at 12:43

Reconnecting after loosing contact for a time, never lost hope though. I attended RHS 74-76 and went on to graduate from Miami Carol City HS in '78. I too remember Mr. Armstrong and I beleive the other prankster to be Mr. Desso as a freshman in '75 I was fortunate to have survived the traps some of my fellow freshman teammates fell victim to.  

Terry Kirkland

Email   IP Logged
Johnny Bender
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - 12. Aug 2010 at 16:18

Hey Terry, how are you?

John Bender
Email   IP Logged
Terry Kirkland
Airman

Reply #11 - 18. Aug 2010 at 07:45

Doing well Johnny, Glad be back in contact. I see the user status referencing airforce enlisted ranks, I had the unique situation while attending RHS that my father was in the Army on special assignment to an interservice ASVAB testing unit. The other people I remember whose fathers worked with my dad were the Lavasters (no exactly sure of this spelling & do not remember names) and the Williams, Mike, Cindy and Terri (Navy). If I remember correctly the unit was dissovled shortly after or fathers were transfered.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print