Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
20. May 2024 at 07:49
News: Welcome to Randolph RoHawk Alumni Bulletin Board. We have had over 25,000 spammers register on this board recently. SO! I have disabled the automatic registration. To Register you will have to contact Mike Berish who is the administrator of this Bulletin Board. Not posting my e-mail here as I don't want the spammers to hit my e-mail so hard. you can get my e-mail from Facebook or one of your fellow Ro-Hawks. Or go to rohawk.net and you can find it there.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sadie Hawkins Dance (Read 2777 times)
Jim Schrank 76
Global Moderator

Sadie Hawkins Dance
31. Jan 2009 at 22:25

OK - Not much posting to the board lately so thought I's share a memory...

The first dance I attended @ Randolph HS was the Sadie Hawkins Dance my Jr. year.
I think Kay Fleenor was my date...  

Although Rodney Poole was my best friend, and without a doubt the best dancer I knew at Randolph,
*All those Saturdays afternoons watching 'Soul Train' apparently paid off for Ahmad.
I was absolutely terrified (of girls in general & dancing in particular), and remember sweating so much
I probably lefy  puddles of perspiration behind me everywhere I went. *I think that was the dance where Rod  
was imortalized in the Talon doing the splits.

Anyway... thought I'd share.  Jim

Email   IP Logged
Johnny Bender
Global Moderator

Re: Sadie Hawkins Dance
Reply #1 - 02. Feb 2009 at 13:20

Quote from Jim Schrank 76 on 31. Jan 2009 at 22:25:
OK - Not much posting to the board lately so thought I's share a memory...

The first dance I attended @ Randolph HS was the Sadie Hawkins Dance my Jr. year.
I think Kay Fleenor was my date...

Although Rodney Poole was my best friend, and without a doubt the best dancer I knew at Randolph,
*All those Saturdays afternoons watching 'Soul Train' apparently paid off for Ahmad.
I was absolutely terrified (of girls in general & dancing in particular), and remember sweating so much
I probably lefy  puddles of perspiration behind me everywhere I went. *I think that was the dance where Rod
was imortalized in the Talon doing the splits.

Anyway... thought I'd share.  Jim

I think Kay Fleenor was my date?  Jimbo.....I'm sure you remember every second of it.

John Bender
Email   IP Logged
Bear
YaBB Administrator

Welcome to the
RoHawk Bulletin
Board

Reply #2 - 04. Feb 2009 at 17:51

OK, speaking of dancing I'm about to relate a tale for which I am not very proud, but it was great fun at the time.  Jimmer may finally kick my ass for squealing on him, but I'll just have to take that risk.

Our senior year we (like everyone) quite regularly went out to the clubs (regardless if we were 18 or not).  Some of the RoHawk crowd (like Medley, Peacock and others) actually had it right and went to the rock and roll clubs.  Some of us frequented the discos.  OK, I admit, I had a polyester suit with matching plaid pants and jacket that I occasionally wore when I frequented the discos.  That aside, syncronized or line dancing was in vogue at the time.

Jim and I decided we needed to try to be as cool as Rodney at dancing.  So, over the course of a couple of weeks, we met at Rodney's house and worked on our own syncronized dance.  With Jim on one side, me on the other and Rodeny in the middle we jokingly called ourselves "The Fig Newton" (I'm sure you get it, white on the outside and black on the inside!!).  Of course Rodney choreographed the whole thing.  It included a bunch of slapping, jumping, bumping, splits by Rodney and pseudo splits by Jim and I.  

As I recall, we performed once at Burgandy Woods on the upstairs dance floor.  We recieved a resounding round of applause, but the pressure and embarassment was just too much for Jim and I, we never performed again.

Thank God I hooked up with Dennis and Bill after high school so I could see the error of my ways and become a pure rock and roller!!

Later
Bear

Mike Berish - RoHawk '76

WWW Bear   IP Logged
Jim Schrank 76
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 04. Feb 2009 at 19:49

Mike (AKA- Bear)...

I'd tried to lock the syncronized dancing memories back in the deepest, darkest recesses of my mind. However - your Fig Newton story not only brought back some good memories, but also a smile. Those days were actually great fun. Not a care in the world. *I also remember trying to do a passable 'robot', and the bump. Grin  

Do you remember how many plums Rodney stuffed into his mouth during football camp one summer?
Apple crisp, and eagle fly over...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.    cry Wish I had some now.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print